The process of applying for admission at Chavón may be started at any time during the year. The School admits new students for the two-year college level program only during the semester beginning in September.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION TO THE TWO-YEAR COLLEGE LEVEL PROGRAM
- Development of the Chavón Challenge
- Letter of intent
- Admissions payments
All applicants must submit a portfolio that represents their interests and artistic abilities. The portfolio must include 10 to 20 pieces—drawings, paintings, craft items, sketchbooks, projects or work completed during previous studies—that demonstrate the applicant’s general ability as well as a specific interest, with an emphasis on more recent work.
The portfolio should not exceed the following measurements: 2” x 25 “(80 cm x 64 cm). Those who wish to submit the work in a digital format should do so under standard formats (PDF or JPEG), and not as an interactive presentation. Applicants of the Fine Arts program should include a self-portrait made with charcoal pencil, and should have drawn the portrait by looking at themselves in a mirror, and not a photograph.
The portfolio sent as part of the admission process is the property of the student and must be claimed within six months.
THE CHAVÓN CHALLENGE
The Chavón Challenge is aimed at providing the Admissions Committee an idea of an applicant’s creative and technical capabilities, as well as how he or she develops and idea, creates a theme and defends his/ her work in a written fashion. The work should be submitted in a digital format (PDF or JPEG). Other formats, such as Power Point, paper or interactive presentations will not be accepted.
Development of the Chavón Challenge
- Choose an object, place or activity that is usually unobserved in its natural habitat or daily activity.
- Through the use of any technique (drawing, painting, illustration, photography, digital images and media, sculpture, 3D words, collage, among others) present three (3) original interpretations of the same object. Each can be developed using a different technique.
- The chosen object should be supported by an essay of at least 250 words that describes the concept under which the practical aspect was developed.
- Through the three (3) pieces, the applicant must communicate a conceptual and creative answer.
To complete The School of Design’s admission process, the applicant must submit the following documents:
- Application form, duly completed
- Birth certificate
- Photocopy of identity card (cédula) or passport
- Medical certificate
- Diploma and certified transcript of high school grades
- For applicants who have taken university-level courses, the certified transcript from the university
- One letter of recommendation from someone related to your academic or professional life, community activities, etc.
- Certificate of good conduct from the National Police or other appropriate police force document.
- Four front-facing 2” × 2” (5 cm × 5 cm) photographs
- For those applying for financial aid, a tax certificate or return from the Dominican Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII) or other country’s income tax office in the name of the person responsible for paying tuition
LETTER OF INTENT
The applicant must present a letter of intent (maximum 1 page) in which the candidate can express his/her academic experience, preparation and commitment in order to study in the School of Design, as well as his/her educational objetives and professional aspirations.
Once applicants have completed their portfolios, the Chavón Challenge, documents and letter of intent, they must call the Office of Admissions at + 1 (809) 563 – 2802 to schedule an interview. The Office of Admissions will inform foreign applicants the procedure to follow.
After submitting all documents and after the School has evaluated a candidate’s file (in its totality), the institution will communicate its decision after a period of 10 working days. At that moment, the candidate will be informed of the necessary procedures, calendars and date of entry to the School of Design.
An applicant’s file is presented to the Admissions Committee when all materials have been received and the application process is complete.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION TO COURSES IN CONTINUING EDUCATION, SPECIAL PROGRAMS, CHILDREN’S AND TEENS’ PROGRAMS, AND THE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN DIGITAL DESIGN
Those interested in these programs must fill out the corresponding admission form and bring it to our Santo Domingo office to pay for the selected course(s) in cash, by credit card, or via bank transfer. Contact our admissions team at ([email protected]) or call + 1 (809) 563 – 2802 in order to confirm the price of your desired program.
INFORMATION FOR BANK TRANSFERS
Altos de Chavón Cultural Center Foundation
Financial Institution: Banco Popular Dominicano
Account number: 742-1664
The Altos de Chavón School of Design operates under the rules of an open-admission policy. All those who wish to study at The School of Design and agree to follow The School’s rules and regulations are welcome, without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, nationality, or marital status.
The School of Design deserves the right to modify or cancel any program within its portfolio if deemed necessary.